Wednesday 23 June 2010

Back to life, back to reality! - Ben's blog

It’s been a bit difficult not having Dave around for a few weeks, but I’ve got on with it and used my time wisely for training. My back is almost pain free thanks to not putting in so much time on the saddle and doing more core and gym work.

I had a brake problem and couldn’t fix it so I swapped an evening on the bike for a few hours in the gym and on the bike there.

I have also been getting in kms - I’m not timing myself now as the time on the bike isn’t that critical, all I’m doing is getting kms on it. (I have been listening Dave, see!!)

Saturday afternoon after work I got on the bike and just did a lovely round route through the mountains and small villages, really nice. I even stopped for a coffee in one village as the time just wasn’t that important and I thought instead of killing myself I can quite happily do the kms and enjoy it!

After my coffee I was racing a motorbike down a mountain (I’m getting quite good at that as I can do corners a lot quicker than those guys), came round a corner and there was a bloody pot hole in the road! I just missed it with my front wheel but my back tyre went in. I was doing about 60k at the time, stayed on and didn’t crash but once again I’ve got another flat.

I can ride a bike for as many hours as you want me to but I have no idea how to fix it!!!!

I’ve never changed a puncture in my life and the other day with the front brake - it’s just getting embarrassing, so I seriously need to learn the basics of bike repair. I forget that it was only January that I bought my bike and before then I knew nothing!

I’m now down to 70 kgs, which is brilliant. It was Cenk’s birthday on Sunday - the old git’s now 40!!! I did have a small piece of chocolate cake.... and of Laura and Joe’s too as he was running around with a paper aeroplane (can’t let good cake go in the bin)!

Spoke to Dave yesterday and hopefully he’ll be back out to Mallorca this week and we can crack on with some proper training again. I think I’ll just be glad for the company and a mate back around me. Dave is far more than just my trainer, he is a friend, a shoulder, a rock and a buddy all rolled into one and he’s also funny! If you haven’t read his diary on my blog, please find the time!

My biggest concern at the minute is that though I’ve proved I can do hours and kms on a bike, my recuperation is slow. I can do anything you want but the next day I’m stuffed, and I can’t do anything.

If I do anything over 50k I need a day of rest afterwards. I don’t rest as I get gym session in but I’m very lethargic and just have no energy.

This worries me for the target that I have for next year at 200k every day - at the minute I wouldn’t be able to do it.

Dave tells me not to worry and that my training is on track and I’m actually ahead of training and kms at the time being so just to relax. I am reassured!

There is so much being talked about at the min that the excitement is oozing from everyone on the team! I think everyone is just having a great time with this whole adventure, as it’s new territory for us all. The ideas are amazing, well done to everyone and it’s just nice to hear that people are enjoying themselves and having fun too, cos, believe it or not, so am I!

Thanks to everyone in the team, thanks for all the support and I’ll keep on pushing on the bike and speak to you soon.

Love Benj

No comments:

Post a Comment