Tuesday 6 July 2010

Return of the Mack – Dave’s training diary

Not sure if you remember that song, one of my favourites. Now there's two reasons for the title:


  1. I've just returned to the island

  2. the singer was a bit of a dodgy fella and always pointing guns at people... that's why Mark Morrison wasn't on the music scene for too long!

‘Hold on’, I hear you saying... 'what's this got to do with Ben and his training?' Well, when I was in the UK I recall a telephone conversation with Ben where he was telling me that this Swiss ball is easy: ‘I've been doing hundreds and can't feel it doing a thing!

Roll on last Monday, our first session back in the gym. What Ben didn't realise was that my stopwatch was in my mind a gun... ‘Oh you bugger... ohhh you bugger... ohhh you bugger – arhhh!’ His face was purple, sweat dripping down his temple, pupils bulging, his bum was twitching (because he had a Swiss ball jammed between his knees!). He was in the firing line and he knew he was in trouble. ‘Now Ben, were you doing a hundred of these?’ I blew the barrel of the smoking gun... I mean stopwatch! We're back on track.

It's currently a tough time for our caped crusader; it is seriously hot and very, very tough to train. Ben is so hard on himself, it's tough for me to keep him pegged back and get him to realise just how far he has come. For me the hardest part is to keep him focused on today, taking small steps towards the ultimate goal - I'm sure if the team hadn't set the dates and built the website he would have quietly just snuck off already on his own!

Please feel for Laura, Ben’s lovely wife, this week. I can't tell you how much Ben was badgering me to go on a ride with him on Saturday – and I just couldn't. So it was poor Laura's turn to feel the pain!

She arrived at the gym on Saturday morning to collect her bike, looking all dainty in nice heeled shoes. I could sense she was a bike virgin... soon to be taken... taken to a beautiful place, ridden hard ‘til exhaustion, yet at the same time to feel exhilarated... to wake up on Sunday morning in the arms of the caped crusader knowing that she was safe... until the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment